Founded in 2005, YouTube is the world’s most popular online video community and provides a form for users worldwide to connect with each other. It is the single best way to upload and share videos with your fans and the easiest way for fans to discover independent artists.
Remember that your fans not only want to hear your music, they want to see you perform it. So be sure to upload videos to YouTube.com and share them across websites, mobile devices, blogs and email.
To create an account: http://www.youtube.com/create_account
Important YouTube Tips for Indie Artists:
- As always, remember to choose a username that is close to your name and consistent with your other social media usernames so that you’re easy to find and easy for your fans to recognize. This will help with search engine optimization.
- Remember that everyone can see the videos you upload, including A&R reps and fans around the world. Look your best. Make sure the video and audio quality is to the highest standards.
- Embed and promote your videos by inserting a YouTube video into Facebook and MySpace accounts, blogs, or other websites to share with your fans.
- Subscriptions: YouTube users are can keep track of their favorite new videos, so urge your fans to subscribe to your channel.
- Make videos special by sharing “behind the scenes” footage about your music. Show fans your recording studio, set up interviews to share and record clips from performances.
What do you think? Know of any musicians that have been using YouTube creatively? Let us know by dropping us a note in the comments section!
Next week we’ll talk about blogging for musicians.