More than simply a way to get picked up in traditional media, the online news release can serve as a means to disseminate information about your upcoming release or event, can be spread via social media and can be used to boost your search engine optimization (SEO) results. As an indie musician, an online news release is a great way to generate buzz and attract new fans.
Here are some online news release tips for indie artists:
- Make it newsworthy: Remember that your message should serve a purpose. It should announce the release of your newest album, tour or noteworthy accomplishment. The information you send out should catch the interest of the media as well as fans.
- Details, details, details. Don’t forget the important information: who, what, where, when, how and why. Include links to purchase tickets, a link to the venue, and above all else, a link to your website and social media.
- Keep SEO in mind. Remember to use keywords like your band name, your name (and band member’s names), your genre, your location, etc. Think about what words a fan would use to find your music in a Google search. Also consider that your release has the potential to “live” online forever, which will improve your visibility and search engine performance, allowing even more fans to find you over time.
- Consider using a news release distribution partner. Look for one that fits your needs and your budget, and will distribute your release to appropriate sites.
- Once your release is hosted online (even if it’s only on your website), make sure you share it via your Facebook, Myspace and Twitter accounts.
These tips will help you get started with creating and distributing an online news release.
Have you used an online news release before? If so, what did you think of it?
Next week: Got a live performance lined up? We’ll share tips to promote your event using social media tools.