Focus, focus, focus! As an indie artist, that’s not always an easy task. You’ve got a lot on your plate and it can be overwhelming at times – especially with so many potential distractions like the internet (the Facebook timesuck!), a constantly buzzing phone, and various people pulling you in different directions.
When you’re ready to get down to business, here are ten ways to help you eliminate distractions and become more productive:
- Pick two major goals: Think about what your two most important goals are for your career. Perhaps you want to release a new album by the end of the year or you want to book a Fall tour. Once you set two major goals, make sure you work toward them each day.
- Narrow your tasks: Now that you have your two priorities, pick one task for each goal that will help move it forward. This way, you will have two things that you must do each day to get you closer to your goal.
- 3. Set Expectations: Don’t overwhelm yourself. Set realistic expectations and understand that some projects will take time.
- 4. Clear the Clutter: Don’t be distracted by a cluttered office or workspace. Keep your area clean and clutter free!
- 5. Computer desktop: Organize the miscellaneous files on your desktop. Put them in folders. Shut down any unnecessary programs and turn off notifications. No beeping or buzzing allowed.
- 6. Turn off the Internet: If the project you’re working on can be done offline, do it. Turn off your computer’s WiFi signal or unplug the chord. The harder it is to obsessively check Facebook (or Pinterest or Twitter), the better.
- 7. Turn off email/text notifications: As mentioned above, turn off notifications – both online and on your phone, if possible.
- 8. DND sign: Do you work out of a busy workspace? Maybe it’s best to tell the others that you need some quiet time – get yourself a “Do Not Disturb” sign.
- 9. Headphones: If the chatter of other voices keeps you from concentrating, consider listening to music on headphones to drown out the noise.
- Be Prepared: Even if you do all of the above, you can still face interruptions. If you do, learn how to handle them quickly and get right back on task.
Now, get to work!
Tell us what you think! Do you have any tips to help increase productivity?
The SongCast Crew