As an independent musician, it can be daunting to constantly create new material while also trying to run the business side of your career. Sometimes the day-to-day grind can wear on you and inspiration can be hard to find. If you’re stuck in a rut, look for new ways to get the creative juices flowing. Here are some tips to help you along:
- Change of scenery: If you’re feeling a bit stifled by city life or bored by your small town, take a drive or hop on the bus for a weekend getaway. Getting away from your typical surroundings will help generate new ideas. Make sure you bring a camera and a notebook along to record your thoughts.
- Exercise: There’s nothing like a brisk walk, bike, swim or jog to get your blood pumping and your mind moving. As you exercise, let your mind wander; you never know where it might land.
- Sleep on it: If you’re facing a creative roadblock and running on empty, take a nap. When you wake up, you’ll be refreshed and ready to take on challenges with a new focus.
- Work in a different space: If you work in the same space every day, take a trip outside. Go to the park with your guitar and laptop or head to a coffee shop. The new noises, faces and general feel of working for a few hours in a different space is enough to generate new ideas and inspiration.
- Go to a conference: Being around others in your field is great for generating new ideas and sparking new conversations. Classes, seminars and conferences like CMJ and SXSW are great ways to find new inspiration.
The bottom line: inspiration is essential to creativity. And as an indie artist, your job is to constantly create. Do what you can to constantly seek new means of finding that spark of inspiration.
Tell us what you think! What inspires you? Do you have any rituals that help you get out of creative ruts?
Up next: Getting radio play.
The SongCast Crew