With Labor Day behind us, it’s only a matter of time before the leaves begin to fall off the trees. With the change in season comes an exciting time for many communities and for indie musicians; college is back in session (college tours!) and events – and opportunities – abound. Have you considered any fall event partnerships to get in front of new audiences? Out of the box thinking can get you far, so consider the following:
- Food and Beverage Festivals: many communities have yearly festivals centered around food. Many of them also need entertainment for their attendees. Have you considered approaching the organizers to see if you can provide the music? If all goes well, it could turn into a yearly gig, and perhaps a paid one. And it comes with a built-in audience.
- Back to School Events and Festivals: There are events nationwide in communities and local stores to celebrate the start of the school year. See if you can get on their calendar to provide the music for their celebration or to entertain them in-between their back to school shopping.
Do you want to perform at these types of events, but don’t know where to find them or who to contact? Here are a few tips:
- Check your local tourism council: If you’re new to an area, or you’re looking to perform in an area that you’re not that familiar with, stop in to the local tourism office and say hello. They’ll be more than happy to familiarize you with the area and provide you with details about upcoming events.
- Check your local newspaper, magazines and travel guides: Not only will these publications give you the details about upcoming events, they may also spark ideas for creative partnerships and opportunities for future events.
- Ask Around: Word of mouth is the best form of advertising. Ask your friends, family, fellow musicians and local business owners if they know of any events that might be a good fit for you in the area. Even if they’re not an immediate help, they could be a source for a lead down the road.
Tell us what you think! Have you developed any interesting partnerships as a result of fall events? What’s on your calendar this month?
Up next: Creating your own showcase!
The SongCast Crew