Make the best of 2012! If you haven’t already created a list of goals for the New Year, now’s the time. Whether you’re goal oriented or a total procrastinator, make this your best year yet by achieving your goals. Remember: as an independent musician, you’re in charge of your own success.
Here are some steps to help you set and achieve your music goals this year:
- Brainstorm: Make a list of everything you want to accomplish this year. Anything from renting a new rehearsal space to finishing your album. And don’t hold back; write everything you can think of — including personal goals — so that you can see your ideas on paper.
- Prioritize: Now, group your goals into categories. Personal goals, family goals, music goals, etc. This will help you set priorities. Then, from those categories, narrow down your list to the top five most important goals. Remember that you’re stuck with these goals for the next year, so choose things that you’re sure you want to tackle.
- Don’t loose sight: Once you set your goals, write them down on a piece of paper and hang them in your office or studio where you’ll see them every day. This will help you remember your goals, and they’ll be harder to ignore if you see them daily.
- Plan: Create an action plan for each goal. There might be more than one step needed for you to accomplish each one, so plan your steps. Create a calendar or timeline and stick to it.
- Track: Keep track of where you are in terms of progress, so you know you’re heading in the right direction. After 30 days, take inventory of where you stand with each goal. Do you need to adjust your timeline to make it more realistic?
- Don’t give up: If you find that you need help along the way, ask for it. If you find that you need to change course or move your timeline, do it. Be flexible but be persistent. Don’t loose sight of the end: accomplishing your goal. And when you get there, don’t forget to…
- Celebrate: Reward yourself for a job well done!
Tell us what you think! Have you set goals for 2012? What is your action plan? Tell us about it!
Up next: Social Media – are you doing everything you can do to stay relevant?