Here at SongCast, between questions like “How do I start uploading music to iTunes?” and “How do I market my band more than I already am?” we’re often asked questions about today’s biggest musical stars.
And while we idolize the industry’s biggest talents as much as the next professional closet air-guitar-er, we’re often shocked when we realize that many believe the rock n’ roll gods, the pop princesses, the rapping geniuses were born into their much-deserved fame.
On the contrary, many of today’s most impressive artists were born far from it. An example, you ask? We’ll give you 10. Here is the SongCast list of 10 of the most surprising jobs held by famous musicians before they made it big:
1. Madonna: While she may have made history with her hit “Like a Virgin,” Madonna was making something very different (and delicious) before she hit the stage – as a clerk at Dunkin’ Donuts in New York City
2. Rod Stewart: Get ready to be shocked to death. Apparently, before he became a musical icon, Rod Stewart used to work as a gravedigger in a cemetery in London during his teens.
3. Mick Jagger: Before Mick Jager became an unforgettable member of The Rolling Stones, he was busy rolling suitcases…as a porter in a London mental hospital.
4. Beyonce: With her wild and show-stopping mane, you might never guess that Queen Bey made some early money as a hair sweeper in her mother’s beauty salon.
5. Ozzy Osbourne: As the front man of Black Sabbath, you might not be so surprised to learn that the English vocalist once worked at slaughterhouse. But don’t let that make you Paranoid.
6. Mariah Carey: You might never have suspected that the crooning diva known for her gorgeous voice and incredible high notes once worked as none other than a hat checker.
7. Jennifer Hudson: Known for that heart-stopping, belting voice, years before Jennifer Hudson was serenading President Obama and the first lady at the inaugural ball, she was serving burgers at Burger King.
8. Gwen Stefani: While she definitely ain’t no Hollaback Girl, the beautiful Ms. Stefani did used to be a Dairy Queen employee. How do you like them bananas?
9. Lady Gaga: Before she had her Little Monsters, Mother Monster had to take order after order as a waitress in a New York City restaurant.
10. Jon Bon Jovi: The incredible Bon Jovi used to work as a janitor in his cousin’s recording studio before finally being discovered.
So the next time you’re wondering how to start uploading songs to iTunes during your early morning shift, don’t fret; others have been there and they’ve gone on to make it big. And hey; at least you’re not digging graves.